Skip to Content
Get this recipe on it now
Finger food is the ideal thing to serve at Christmas parties, and here renowned chef Steven Doherty shares his recipes for two savoury canapés that are sure to go down a treat with guests.
As a Michelin-starred chef, Steven – who is the manager of The Cook School Scotland, a judge at Gordon Ramsay’s scholarshi, and is on the committee of Slow Food and Academy of Culinary Arts – he knows a thing or two about winning dishes.
First up is avocado, prawn and lime chilli toasts, a refreshing combination, followed by smoked salmon and herby cheese toasts – great if you fancy indulging!
The best thing about these canapés though is that they’re really easy to make, so you can whip them up in minutes. If you fancy trying out the snacks yourself, recipes and instructions can be found below.
1. Avocado, prawn and lime chilli toasts (serves four):
• 4 slices of medium sliced white bread
• I large ripe avocado
• ¼ teaspoon finely chopped red chilli
• Zest and juice of 1 lime
• 48 fresh Icelandic prawns
• Fresh dill and chopped chives
1. Cut out the bread with a 6-7cm wide crinkly edge cutter. Toast lightly on both sides and allow to cool
2. Peel and chop the avocado, chilli, chopped chives, zest and juice of lime. Mix well and season with a pinch of salt
3. Spoon the avocado mix on top of the toasts, place the prawns on top of each toast and decorate with dill
2. Smoked salmon and herby cheese toasts (serves four)
• 4 slices of medium sliced white bread (brown or granary can also be used)
• 4 slices of thinly sliced smoked salmon
• 1 packet of full fat garlic cream cheese
• Tomato chutney
• Flat leaf parsley
1. Cut out the toasts with a 6-7cm crinkly edge cutter. Toast lightly on both sides and allow to cool
2. Spread the toasts with the garlic cream cheese, cut the salmon into thin strips to sit on the cheese
3. Place on a little tomato chutney. Decorate with flat leaf parsley
FOOD, GLORIOUS FOOD: