Skip to Content
Get this recipe on it now
The Hour's resident chef Eadie Manson celebrates National curry week, now in it’s 14th, with this delicious chicken Jalfrezi.
This recipe combines heat and spicy flavours with mouth watering fresh flavours.
Chicken Jalfrezi ingredients:
• Four tbsp oil
• Two cloves garlic chopped
• 750 grams chicken thigh fillets, cut in half
• Three tsp turmeric
• Onion, grated
• One tsp red chilli powder
• One tsp salt
• One tin chopped Tomatoes
• Three tsp cumin
• Three tsp coriander
• Two tbsp root ginger
• 50gms coriander, chopped
Pilau rice ingredients:
• One tbsp vegetable oil
• Two cloves
• Green cardamom pods
• One piece cinnamon stick
• Bay leaf
• 150gm basmati rice
• Pinch saffron
• 300mls water
1. Heat up the oil in a deep frying pot and fry the onion and garlic for two minutes over high flame heat.
2. Mix in the chicken, turmeric, chilli powder and salt. Fry gently for five to ten minutes or until golden.
3. Turn the chicken frequently.
4. Mix in the tomatoes, cover and stir fry over medium heat up for 20 minutes. Uncover and simmer for 10 minutes to let all the liquid to evaporate and the sauce thicken.
5. Mix in the ghee or oil, cumin, ground coriander, ginger and fresh coriander and simmer for five to seven minutes or until the fat separate out from the thick sauce.
6. For the pilau rice, heat a little oil in a pan and add the aromatics and cook for two minutes.
7. Add the rice and continue to fry for a further minute.
8. Add the saffron and the water bring to the boil and stir. Cover with a lid and leave to cook over a low heat for 10 minutes.
9. Remove from heat and allow sitting for a few minutes.
For more food information and dinner suggestions visit The Hour’s food and drink section of The Hour’s website. Once you've tried the recipe why not share your thoughts on The Hour's Facebook page.