Skip to Content
Can’t decide between breakfast or lunch, why not combine the two and make a delicious brunch.
With woody mushrooms and meaty chorizo topped off with soft poached eggs, chef Jacqueline O’Donnell’s hearty recipe will leave you feeling full and satisfied until afternoon tea.
• Four large flat Portobello mushrooms
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Two tbsp summer harvest rapeseed oil
• 50g/2oz pack sliced chorizo sausage
• One small onion, finely chopped
• One clove of garlic, crushed
• 225g/8oz small cup mushrooms, sliced
• One tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
• Four eggs
• Flat leaf parsley salad, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
2. Wipe the mushrooms and remove the stalks. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place in a roasting tin or on a baking sheet and drizzle with 25ml/1½ tablespoons of the oil. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until becoming soft.
3. Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a pan and fry the chorizo until golden. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add the sliced mushrooms and the stalks and cook until the mushrooms are tender and pan is quite dry - about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add the chopped parsley.
4. Poach the eggs in simmering water.
5. Divide the cooked mushroom mixture between the roasted portobello mushrooms.