Skip to Content
In 1974, STV opened it's brand new studios at Cowcaddens in Glasgow. The occasion was marked by a visit from HRH Princess Alexandra who officially opened the studios unveiling a plaque to commemorate the event. Her Royal Highness was then given a tour of the new facilities and stopped to chat amiably with technicians, directors and cleaning ladies alike.
Cowcaddens had been the home of STV almost since the stations inception in 1957 when flagships programmes like Thingamajig would feature presenter Jack McLaughlin, the self-styled Laird of Cowcaddens.
By the early 70's, in order to keep up with changes in broadcasting, a state of the art studio and broadcasting facility was created to ensure Scottish television could match it's competitors every step of the way.
In this footage Princess Alexandra unveils the plaque and is presented with a bouquet and presents for her own children while talking to STV staff. STV eventually left Cowcaddens in 2006 and moved to a new purpose built facility in the new media village at Pacific Quay in Govan. The old building has been bulldozed, plaque and all, and new offices built on the site.