28 April 2009, 16:28
NAME: Rosemary Shrager
DISH: Northumberland starter – The Final
DISH TITLE: Smoked haddock and Kielder cheese gratin with toasted brioche
DESCRIPTION: Rosemary simply updated this fantastic recipe from the first round by adding a chervil garnish.
COOK TIME: 15 minutes
PREP TIME: 25 minutes
DIETARY RESTRICTIONS: dairy
INGREDIENTS AND METHOD:
700g smoked haddock, un-dyed
300g leek, white part only
90g unsalted butter
450ml full-fat milk
150ml fish stock
250ml double cream
300g Kielder hard cheese, finely grated
Salt and white pepper
Small bunch of chervil, finely chopped
Brioche to serve.
• Cover the Haddock with some of the milk and fish stock, add some butter, and poach. (Once cooked, keep the milk for the roux).
• Let the haddock rest and drain off the excess liquid. Remove the bones and flake the haddock.
• Cut up the leek into small dice, and soften in a saucepan with the butter. This can take up to 20 minutes on a very low heat. You must not brown the leek. Now add the flour and cook gently for 30 seconds. Add the mixture from the haddock and keep stirring the sauce until thick. Continue cooking for a few minutes then add the flaked haddock and season well adding the pinch of cayenne.
• Put the mixture into individual ramekins, add a tablespoon of cream on top then the cheese. Put under the grill for a minute to brown.
• Finely chop the chervil and sprinkle over the grilled ramekins.
SPECIALIST INGREDIENTS USED WERE SOURCED FROM:
Kielder cheese was supplied by The Northumberland Cheese Company: www.northumberlandcheese.co.uk
Last updated: 28 April 2009, 16:29